Vets Save Poisoned Cat’s Life By Giving Him A Bottle Of Vodka To Drink

Rescuers managed to save the life of a little black cat who was poisoned with antifreeze – by making him down some vodka.

The kitty was given the spirit after he was discovered in an almost terminal state.

The tomcat, who has now been renamed Tipsy, gulped down vodka after vets from the Australian RSPCA battled to save his life.

Fortunately, their methods worked and he survived.

Vodka is a common antidote for antifreeze, the ABC news network reported. However, so few cats actually make it to the vet in time that it’s rare for the spirit to be used.

Tipsy was also lucky that the (apparently fun-loving) rescue staff had a bottle of vodka stashed away.

‘Luck was definitely on his side when our inspectors brought him in to us, just in the nick of time,’ RSPCA vet Sarah Kanther told the broadcaster.

‘It just so happened that one of our nurses had a bottle of vodka laying around, so we were able to administer it just in time to save his life.’

The vodka was diluted before being given to Tipsy through an IV drip, in a bid to metabolise the absorption of antifreeze in his body.

Tipsy, who had acute renal failure, is now expected to make a full recovery thanks to the Animal Emergency Hospital in Wacol, Queensland.

However the lucky black cat has no known owners, and may have to be put up for adoption.

Disturbingly, antifreeze is a common method people use to kill cats, because they are attracted to the sweet-tasting liquid.
It can take just a few agonising hours for the cat to die.

You may also like:

==> V e t s  E x a m i n i n g  K i t t e n  W i t h  M y s t e r y  I l l n e s s  S t u n n e d  T o  F i n d  S e w i n g  N e e d l e  W e d g e d  I n  H i s  B a c k

Source: http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/18/vets-save-poisoned-cats-life-by-giving-him-a-bottle-of-vodka-to-drink-6788439/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *